Local Spokes engages local residents
to envision the future of bicycling
in our diverse neighborhoods.
Local Spokes is a coalition of 9 diverse non-profits based in NYC's Lower East Side and Chinatown. We seek to engage, understand and advocate for the community's various perspectives on cycling through multilingual outreach, public participation activities and a summer Youth Ambassadors program.
With information collected over a two year period, Local Spokes has published a Neighborhood Action Plan. Download the 28 page complete plan (English, 6 MB) or the summary (Chinese, Spanish and English) to explore award-winning outcomes of visioning sessions, surveys and planning.
Videos created by Streetfilms (top) by Peter Shapiro (center and below) and by Lee Elson (below) highlight the activities and focus of this engaging process. We offer a Toolkit (online and download versions) that will help you utilize the Local Spokes model in your community. Explore the Youth Ambassadors Blog and 2012 signage project, our photo album and tweets. Press coverage and a press kit below (and on Facebook) round out the story.
Upcoming Events• Time's Up! hosts Bike Repair workshops 5 times weekly. Find the schedule here.
• Green Map's Lower East Ride project combines cycling and resiliency in in Chinese, Spanish & English. "Bike Readiness" is underway in 2016, with help from LES Ready. Check out How to Create a Bike Tour Video in English & Chinese!
• Local Spokes supported the start of the YouthBikeSummit.org. Check out the keynote address by our 2013 Youth Ambassador.
Local Spokes was presented with the 2013 Innovation Award by the national Alliance for Biking & Walking at the National Bike Summit in Washington DC.
Selected Press & Press Kit•StreetsBlog •American Bike League
•At the National Bike Summit
•The Lo-Down •DNA Info •The Villager
- Asian Americans for Equality
- Good Old Lower East Side
- Green Map System
- Hester Street Collaborative
- Times Up!
- Transportation Alternatives
- Two Bridges Neighborhood Council
- Velo City
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org